Church Doorway, Edgware
|Size:||99 x 67 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at left|
|No. of States:||1|
|Impressions taken from this plate (3)|
'Church Doorway' (1888, Whistler). 2
'Church door - Edgeware [sic]' (1897, Wunderlich's). 3
'Church Doorway, Edgemere' (1898, Edward Guthrie Kennedy (1849-1932)). 4
'Church Doorway, Edgemere' (1902, Edward Guthrie Kennedy (1849-1932)). 5
'Church Doorway, Edgware' is based on Whistler's title and the correct spelling of the town's name. Kennedy of H. Wunderlich & Co. was mistaken in calling it first Edgeware (1897) and then Edgemere.
Entrance door, Church of St Margaret of Antioch, Edgware.
Whistler was probably sitting by the path leading to the church to draw the view.
6: T. F. T. Baker, J. S. Cockburn, R. B. Pugh (Editors), 'Edgware Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex, Vol. 4, 1971, pp. 163-166, on British History OnLine at http://www.british-history.ac.uk (accessed 2010).
Church of St Margaret of Antioch, Edgware.
Photographs © M.F. MacDonald, Whistler Etchings Project, 2010.
7: New York 1898 (cat. no. 198).