|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||222 x 142 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at right|
|No. of States:||2|
|Catalogues:||K.361; M.355; W.252|
|Impressions taken from this plate (16)|
Recto, above; verso, below:
The copper plate bears the maker's oval stamp: 'HUGHES & KIMBER (LIMITED) / MANUFACTURERS / LONDON E.C.'
It is the same or close in size to several etchings dating from 1887 (Grand'Place, Brussels , The Cock and the Pump , The Fleet: Monitors , Jubilee Place, Chelsea ) including another bearing the Hughes & Kimber stamp (Her Majesty's Fleet: Evening ). The original large copper sheets were probably stamped before being cut into smaller sizes. Thus some Hughes & Kimber plates do not have a stamp on the verso. It seems likely all these plates were made by Hughes & Kimber.
The copper plate of Palaces, Brussels was in Whistler's studio at his death and was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower left corner.