Court of the Monastery of St Augustine, Bourges
|Size:||131 x 220 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at left|
|No. of States:||1|
|Impressions taken from this plate (4)|
Recto, above; verso, below:
The copper plate bears the maker's oval stamp: 'HUGHES & KIMBER (LIMITED) / MANUFACTURERS / LONDON E.C.' Several other etchings of this period are similar in size including Railway-Station, Voves 387, Mairie, Loches 413, Church, Amsterdam 445 and Rue de la Rochefoucault 434.
It was in Whistler's studio at his death and was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower left corner.