The Hangman's House, Tours
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||135 x 99 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at lower left|
|No. of States:||3|
|Impressions taken from this plate (6)|
Recto, above; verso, below:
The copper plate has no maker's mark but is the same size as other plates of the period such as Three studies of women's heads 400, Beatrice Whistler painting from a window, Bourges 399, Place Daumont, Tours 390, Château Touraine 410, A French Street 405, Château de Bridoré 409 and Gateway, Chartreuse, near Loches 421.
The copper plate was in Whistler's studio at his death, and was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958) who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower left corner.