The Hangman's House, Tours
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||135 x 99 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at lower left|
|No. of States:||3|
|Impressions taken from this plate (6)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 376) 'Hangman’s House, Tours'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 376) 'Hangman’s House, Tours'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, 2nd ed., revised, London, 1899 (cat. no. 323).
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 262) 'Hangman’s House, Bourges' [sic].
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 216) 'Hangman's House, Tours'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 360) 'Hangman's House, Tours'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 323) 'Hangman's House, Tours'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Ailsa Boyd, '"Something vibrates back": Whistler and Henry James', in Erma Hermens, Joanna Meacock and Grischka Petri (eds.), CONNECTING WHISTLER: Essays in Honour of Margaret F. MacDonald, Glasgow, 2010, pp. 62-68 at www.gla.ac.uk/ media/media_182035_en.pdf
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 246, 246, 284 (no. 277).