Return to Tilbury
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||133 x 97 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at lower left|
|No. of States:||4|
|Catalogues:||K.327; M.321; W.244|
|Impressions taken from this plate (18)|
The copper plate has no maker's mark. It was similar in size to several plates including Booth at a Fair 257, St James Street decorated with bunting 326, Marbles 270, Gates, City, London 280, The Little Nurse, Grays Inn 286, Charing Cross Bridge 348 and Windsor Castle 314. All of these date from 1887.
The copper plates for the 'Naval Review Set' were in Whistler's studio in Paris in the 1890s.
This plate was in Whistler's London studio at his death and was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a single diagonal line across the lower right corner.