T. A. Nash's Greengrocer's Shop
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||178 x 126 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at upper right|
|No. of States:||5|
|Catalogues:||K.263; M.260; W.215|
|Impressions taken from this plate (10)|
The copper plate bears the maker's oval stamp: 'HUGHES & KIMBER (LIMITED) / MANUFACTURERS / LONDON E.C.' It is close in size to several etchings dating from 1887 and 1888 including After the Sale, Clothes Exchange, Houndsditch 357, Gray's Inn Place 281, Wheelwright 240, Bunting 304, The Hôtel de la Croix Blanche 395 and The Clock Tower - Amboise 429.
It was in Whistler's studio at his death and was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower right corner.