|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||68 x 100 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at upper left|
|No. of States:||2|
|Catalogues:||K.250; M.246; W.204|
|Impressions taken from this plate (8)|
The copper plate bears the maker's oval stamp, 'HUGHES & KIMBER (LIMITED) / MANUFACTURERS / LONDON E.C.' It is the same size and stamp as that for St James's Park 250. It is also very close in size to The Menpes Children 300, Butcher's Shop, Sandwich, Kent 320, and Children, Portsmouth 301, which may date from the same period.
The copper plate is pitted; a line of regular marks is visible in the bottom left corner, possibly made from gripping that corner with a vice.
The plate was in Whistler's studio at his death and was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. The plate was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower left corner.