Irving as Philip of Spain, No. 1
|Size:||228 x 153 mm|
|No. of States:||4|
|Catalogues:||K.170; M.167; W.139|
|Impressions taken from this plate (6)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 170) 'Irving as Philip of Spain, No. 1'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 167) 'Irving as Philip of Spain'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 139).
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 118) 'Irving as Charles the First'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- Anon., [H. Stewart Cundell], 'English Etching', The Standard, London, 25 April 1878, p. 2 (GUL PC1/94).
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Boston 1910: Exhibition of Etchings and Drypoints by James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1910 (cat. no. 115) 'Irving as Philip of Spain, No. 1'.
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, p. 280 (no. 159).
- Menpes, Mortimer, Whistler as I Knew Him, London, 1904, repr. f.p. 92.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, I, p. 215.
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 187).