Price's Candle Factory
|Size:||153 x 229 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at lower right (6-8); replaced with new butterfly (9-final)|
|No. of States:||13|
|Catalogues:||K.154; M.151; W.124|
|Impressions taken from this plate (19)|
The copper plate has no maker's stamp, but is close in size to quite a lot of other plates by various makers, including Lindsey Houses 161 (by B. Maire) and Agnes 146 (by Hughes & Kimber).
The plate was given by Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958) to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It is not known if she inherited it from Whistler or if it was sold at the time of his bankruptcy and later retrieved by the artist, but it is more likely that it was acquired by Miss Philip from the Fine Art Society or from Robert Dunthorne (b. ca 1851). It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower right corner.