Speke Hall: The Avenue
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||228 x 152 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler' at lower right (1-12); butterfly lower left (11-12); both removed (13-final)|
|Inscribed:||'1870. / Speke Hall.' at lower right|
|No. of States:||14|
|Catalogues:||K.96; M.95; W.86|
|Impressions taken from this plate (22)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 95) 'Speke Hall, No. 1'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 96) 'Speke Hall, No. 1'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 86) 'Speke Hall'.
- [?] Exhibition, Grosvenor Gallery, London, 1879 (cat. no. 270) 'Speke Hall: The Avenue'.
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. nos. 116, 117) 'Speke Hall'.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 81) 'Speke Hall'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 81) 'Speke Hall'.
- 71st Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1902 (cat. no. 947 (86)) 'Speke Hall'.
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. nos. 86, 87) 'Speke Hall', 1st and 2nd States.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 70).
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. nos. 68, 69) 'Speke Hall'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 89) 'Speke Hall'.
- Oeuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'École des Beaux-Art, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 328) 'Speke Hall'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 86) 'Speke Hall'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Drawing Near. Whistler Etchings from the Zelman Collection, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1984 (cat. no. 30).
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 158,159, 279 (no. 99).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. no. 427).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., Susan Galassi, Aileen Ribeiro and P. de Montfort, Whistler, Women and Fashion, New Haven and London, 2003, pp. 100-101.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, pp. 175-176.