|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||120 x 166 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler - ' at lower right (1-3); partly removed (4-final)|
|Set/Publication:||Junior Etching Club, 1862|
|No. of States:||6|
|Catalogues:||K.86; M.87; T.86; W.69|
|Impressions taken from this plate (35)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 86) 'Sketching, No. 1'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 87) 'The Thames'.
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 86) 'A river scene'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 69) 'Sketching'.
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 97) 'The Thames'.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 66) 'Sketching'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 64) 'Sketching'.
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. no. 73) 'Sketching'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. nos. 58a, b).
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 71) 'Sketching'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 69) 'Sketching'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- [F.G. Stephens], The Athenaeum, 7 June 1862, p. 765.
- Anon., The Lady's Newspaper, 14 June 1862, p. 370.
- Charles Mackay, 'Art and Science. The Junior Etching Club', The London Review ..., 6 September 1862, p. 218.
- Anon.,Pall Mall Gazette, 18 December 1865.
- Anon.,Morning Post, London, 19 December 1865, p. 2.
- Anon.,The Sporting Gazette Limited, 6 January 1866, p. 3.
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- American Art Association, Masterpieces of Engraving and Etching ... Collection of Henry Graves, Jr., New York City, Anderson Art Galleries, New York, 3 April 1936 (lot. no. 64).
- Getscher, Robert H., and Paul G. Marks, James McNeill Whistler and John Singer Sargent. Two Annotated Bibliographies, New York and London, 1986, C. 6.
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 131, 134, 279, (no. 87).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. no. 298).
- Passages from Modern English Poets, London, 1862 (Plates 7 and 45).
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, pp. 91-92.