|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||128 x 204 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler' at lower right|
|Inscribed:||'1859' at lower right|
|Set/Publication:||'Thames Set', 1871|
|No. of States:||6|
|Catalogues:||K.40; M.39; T.39; W.37|
|Impressions taken from this plate (82)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 40) 'Limehouse'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 39) 'Limehouse'.
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 39) 'Limehouse'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 37) 'Limehouse'.
- 93rd Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts, Royal Academy, London, 1861 (cat. no. 975) 'The Thames, near Limehouse'.
- [Exposition], Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1862.
- Ouvrages de peinture, sculpture, gravure, lithographie et architecture, refusés par le Jury de 1863, et exposés, par décision de S. M. l'Empereur, au salon annexe, Palais des Champs Elysées, Paris, 1863 (cat. no. 2756) 'Vue des bords de la Tamise'.
- Mr Whistler's Exhibition, Flemish Gallery, Pall Mall, London, 1874 (cat. no. 9) 'Limehouse'.
- Collection illustrative of the History and Practice of Etching. Lent and Catalogued by James Anderson Rose, Esq., of London, Liverpool, 1874 (cat. no. 501) 'Limehouse'.
- Exhibition of works loaned to the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1879.
- [Exhibition], Craibe Angus's Gallery, Glasgow, 1879 (cat. no. unknown).
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 55) 'Limehouse, on the Thames'.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 35) 'Lime House'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 36).
- Exhibition of Etchings and Dry Points by Mr. Whistler, Frederick Keppel and Co., New York, 1902.
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. nos. 43, 44) 'Limehouse', 1st and 2nd State.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 32).
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 32) 'Limehouse'.
- Etchings, Dry Points, And a few Drawings by Whistler, Frederick Keppel and Co., New York, 1904 (cat. no. 35) 'Limehouse'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 39) 'Limehouse'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 37) 'Limehouse'.
- Oeuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'École des Beaux-Art, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 308) 'Limehouse'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- [F.G. Stephens], 'ART AND ARTISTS, Exhibition at the Royal Academy', The Critic: Journal of British and Foreign Literature and Arts, 11 May 1861, p. 606.
- C. Baudelaire, 'Peintres et Aqua-fortistes', Le Boulevard, [14th September 1862], in C. Pichis, ed., Charles Baudelaire, Oeuvres Complètes, Paris 1866, p. 1148.
- Anonymous, [C. Baudelaire], Revue Anecdotique, 2 April 1862 in C. Pichis, ed., Charles Baudelaire, Oeuvres Complètes, Paris 1866, p. 1150.
- Anon., 'Mr. Whistler's Venice', St James' Gazette, 9 December 1880 (GUL PC4/17, PC15/13).
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 81, 278 (no. 43).