Etchings filtered by date: 1863
|Medium:||drypoint and roulette|
|Size:||199 x 132 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler.' at lower left (4-final)|
|Inscribed:||'63.' at lower left (4); date removed (5)|
|No. of States:||6|
|Catalogues:||K.92; M.92; T.71; W.83|
|Impressions taken from this plate (35)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 92) 'Weary'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 92) 'Weary'.
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 71) 'A Lady'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 83) 'Weary'.
- 95th Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts, Royal Academy, London, 1863 (cat. no. 941) 'Weary'.
- Mr Whistler's Exhibition, Flemish Gallery, Pall Mall, London, 1874 (cat. no. 25) 'Dry Point, Portrait'.
- Collection illustrative of the History and Practice of Etching. Lent and Catalogued by James Anderson Rose, Esq., of London, Liverpool, 1874 (cat. no. 486) 'Portrait of a Lady'.
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 113) 'Weary'.
- International Exhibition, Kelvingrove, Glasgow, 1888 (cat. no. 2552-25) 'Weary'.
- World's Columbian Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, Chicago, 1893 (cat. no. 2247).
- Mr Whistler's Venice Etchings and the Defaced Coppers, Robert Dunthorne's Gallery, Liverpool, 1893.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 78) 'Weary'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 78) 'Weary'.
- 71st Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1902 (cat. no. 947 (83)) 'Weary'.
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. no. 84) 'Weary'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 68).
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 67) 'Weary'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 86) 'Weary'.
- Oeuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'École des Beaux-Art, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 327) 'Lasse. - Weary'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 83) 'Weary'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- Anon., [F.G. Stephens], The Athenaeum, 16 May 1863, p. 655.
- Anon., [F.G. Stephens], 'The Royal Academy', The Athenaeum, 23 May 1863, p. 688.
- Anon., 'Mr. Whistler's Etchings', Builder, 5 July 1874.
- Anon., 'Mr Seymour Haden's etchings', Daily News, 1 April 1878.
- Anon., 'Art Notes', Liverpool Mercury, 18 March 1893.
- Anon., 'Art Notes', The Sun, New York, 5 January 1909 (GUL PC19/11).
GENERAL 1855- 1905
- Anon., [Ellis, Frederick Startridge], Memories of Men, Places and Things, belonging to past times, London, [ca 1896/1897], p. 51.
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Ann Arbor 1996: Prosaic Views, Poetic Vision, University of Michigan Museum of Art, Ann Arbor, 1996 (cat. no. 18).
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 149, 150, 279 (no. 96).
- London 1976: MacDonald, M.F., Whistler. The Graphic Work: Amsterdam, Liverpool, London, Venice, Agnew & Sons, London; Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool; City Art Gallery, Glasgow, 1976 (cat. no. 46)
- London 1994: James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London; Musée d'Orsay, Paris; and National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994-1995 (cat. nos. 17-19).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. nos. 309-10).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., Susan Galassi, Aileen Ribeiro and P. de Montfort, Whistler, Women and Fashion, New Haven and London, 2003, p. 80, repr. fig. 77.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, II, repr. f. p. 156.