House of the Swan, Brussels
|Size:||178 x 66 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at lower centre|
|No. of States:||1|
|Impressions taken from this plate (2)|
Recto, above; verso, below:
The copper plate of House of the Swan, Brussels has no maker's mark, but is the same size as a plate made by Hughes & Kimber, which was used in a horizontal format for Dry Docks, Southampton , in the same year, 1887.
The plate was in Whistler's studio at his death and bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower right corner, from the centre of the bottom edge to the centre of the right edge.