Battersea Dawn (Cadogan Pier)
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||115 x 153 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler.' at lower left|
|Set/Publication:||'Thames Set', 1871|
|No. of States:||2|
|Catalogues:||K.75; M.75; T.64; W.79|
|Impressions taken from this plate (61)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 75) 'Early Morning, Battersea'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 75) 'Early Morning, Battersea'.
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 64) 'Cadogan Pier'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 79) 'Cadogan Pier'.
- [Exposition], Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1862.
- Collection illustrative of the History and Practice of Etching. Lent and Catalogued by James Anderson Rose, Esq., of London, Liverpool, 1874 (cat. no. 494) 'Cadogan Pier'.
- Mr Whistler's Exhibition, Flemish Gallery, Pall Mall, London, 1874 (cat. no. 17) 'Battersea Dawn'.
- [Exhibition], Craibe Angus's Gallery, Glasgow, 1879.
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 108) 'Battersea Dawn (Cadogan pier)'.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 74) 'Cadogan Pier'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. nos. 74, 74a) 'Cadogan Pier'.
- Exhibition of Etchings and Dry Points by Mr. Whistler, Frederick Keppel and Co., New York, 1902.
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. no. 80) 'Cadogen Pier'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 65) 'Cadogan Pier'.
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 63) 'Cadogan Pier'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 82) 'Cadogan Pier'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 79) 'Cadogan Pier'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- E.D.Wallace, 'The Fine Arts Abroad', Forney's Weekly Press, Philadelphia, 1 April 1876.
- 'Mr Whistler's Paintings', Baltimore Gazette, partially quoting E.D.Wallace's letter, after 1 April 1876, in GUL PC1/75.
- 'M.B.H.' [M.B. Huish], 'Etching in England', The Magazine of Art, 1878, I, p. 146; II, pp. 217-8.
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 114-5, 124, 125, 168, pl. 157, p. 279 (no. 77).