Atelier de Bijouterie
|Size:||127 x 216 mm|
|No. of States:||1|
|Impressions taken from this plate (3)|
Atelier de Bijouterie was not published.
It was extremely rare and therefore rarely exhibited. One impression was, however, shown in the exhibition organised by the Caxton Club in Chicago in 1900 as 'Atelier Bijouterie', lent by Charles Lang Freer (1856-1919) (). 6
6: Chicago 1900 (cat. no. 273); See REFERENCES: EXHIBITIONS.
Impressions were also lent to the Whistler Memorial exhibitions. Freer lent his impression to the Grolier Club in New York in 1904 (). Other impressions were shown in Boston in the same year, in Paris in 1905, as 'La Bijouterie. - Jeweller's Shop', and, lent by Henry Studdy Theobald (1847-1934), in the London 1905 exhibition as 'Jeweller's Shop'. 7
SALES & COLLECTORS
Whistler retained one of the three known impressions, which was trimmed to the platemark but not signed on the tab, and this passed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958) who bequeathed it to the University of Glasgow ().
Another was marked 'Early proof -' by the artist () and was bought by Charles Lang Freer (1856-1919). It was bequeathed with the rest of his collection to the Freer Gallery of Art.
Howard Mansfield (1849-1938) owned the third impression, which was signed on the tab with a butterfly that is definitely not by Whistler, although the impression itself is a fine one, in black ink on Japanese paper (). This impression passed from Mansfield through A. A. Hahlo & Co., New York, to Harris G. Whittemore (d. ca 1937), Naugatuck, CT, in 1919 and was subsequently acquired by the Fogg Art Museum.