|Size:||178 x 82 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at left|
|No. of States:||1|
|Catalogues:||K.267; M.263; W.217|
|Impressions taken from this plate (11)|
The copper plate bears the maker's oval stamp: 'HUGHES & KIMBER (LIMITED) / MANUFACTURERS / LONDON E.C.' It is close in size to several other plates used in 1886 or 1887: Dipping the Flag , St James's Place, Houndsditch , The Long Seats, Gray's Inn  and Salvation Army, Sandwich .
The copper plate was in Whistler's studio at his death and was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower left corner.