|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||161 x 241 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at lower left|
|No. of States:||6|
|Impressions taken from this plate (13)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., Catalogue of Etchings by J. McN. Whistler, Compiled by an Amateur. Supplementary to that Compiled by F. Wedmore, New York, 1902 (cat. no. 358) 'The Mill'.
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 413) 'The Mill'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 415) 'The Mill'.
EXHIBITIONS 1855- 1905
- [Exhibition], Dunthorne's Gallery at the Rembrandt Head, London, 1890.
- [Exhibition of watercolours, pastels and etchings belonging to C. L. Freer], Grolier Club, New York, 1890.
- World's Columbian Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, Chicago, 1893 (cat. no. 2267  ) 'The Mill'.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 273) 'The Mill'.
- 2nd Exhibition, Pictures, Drawings, Prints and Sculptures, International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, London, 1899 (cat. no. 249) 'The Mill'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. E306) 'The Mill'.
- Internationale Kunstausstellung, Dresden, 1901.
- [Exhibition of recently acquired works], Dresden, Kupferstich-Kabinett, 1902.
- 71st Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1902 (cat. no. 947 ) 'The Mill, Amsterdam'.
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 196) 'The Mill'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. nos. 292 a,b,c) 'The Mill'.
- Oeuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'École des Beaux-Art, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 417) 'Le Moulin. Zaandam. - (The Mill. Zaandam)'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 358) 'The Mill'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Heijbroek, J. F. and Margaret F. MacDonald, Whistler and Holland, Zwolle and Amsterdam, 1997, pp. 71, 75.
- Drawing Near. Whistler Etchings from the Zelman Collection, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1984 (cat. no. 89).
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, p. 284 (no. 417).