|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||153 x 230 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at upper left|
|No. of States:||2|
|Impressions taken from this plate (8)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., Catalogue of Etchings by J. McN. Whistler, Compiled by an Amateur. Supplementary to that Compiled by F. Wedmore, New York, 1902 (cat. no. 297) 'Bird Cages, Chelsea'.
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 276) 'Bird-Cages, Chelsea'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 271) 'Bird-Cages, Chelsea'.
EXHIBITIONS 1855- 1905
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 180) 'The Bird Cages, Chelsea'.
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. no. 233) 'Bird Cages, Chelsea'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 216) 'Bird Cages, Chelsea'.
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 207) 'Bird Cages, Chelsea'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 321) 'Bird cages, Chelsea'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 297) 'Bird Cages, Chelsea'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, p. 282 (no. 275).
- Robins, Anna Gruetzner, A Fragile Modernism. Whistler and his Impressionist Followers, Yale University Press, London and New Haven, 2007, pp. 131-132.