|Size:||229 x 154 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler.' (2-final) at lower left|
|Inscribed:||'1869' at lower left (2-3); changed to '1859' (4)|
|Set/Publication:||'Cancelled Plates', 1879|
|No. of States:||4|
|Catalogues:||K.61; M.61; T.59; W.47|
|Impressions taken from this plate (31)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 61) 'Arthur Haden'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 61) 'Arthur Haden'.
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 59) 'A little boy in a velvet dress sitting on a chair'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 47) 'Arthur Seymour'.
EXHIBITIONS 1855- 1905
- Collection illustrative of the History and Practice of Etching. Lent and Catalogued by James Anderson Rose, Esq., of London, Liverpool, 1874 (cat. no. 472) 'Portrait of Arthur Seymour'.
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 68) 'Arthur Seymour Haden'.
- International Exhibition, Kelvingrove, Glasgow, 1888 (cat. no. 2552-14). 'Arthur---'
- World's Columbian Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, Chicago, 1893 (cat. no. 2231) 'Portrait of Arthur Seymour'.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 44) 'Arthur Seymour'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 45) 'Arthur Seymour'.
- 71st Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1902 (cat. no. 947 (47) 'Arthur Seymour'.
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. no. 56) 'Arthur Seymour'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. nos. 41a, 41b) 'Arthur Seymour. Trial Proof.' and ' Finished State'.
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 41) 'Arthur Seymour'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. nos. 49, 49b) 'Arthur Seymour'. 'Trial proof...' and 'Finished state'.
- Oeuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'École des Beaux-Art, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 313) 'Arthur Seymour'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 47) 'Arthur Seymour'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- Prosaic Views, Poetic Vision, University of Michigan Museum of Art, Ann Arbor, 1996 (cat. no. 11).
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 107, 110, 278 (no. 64).
- Tentoonstelling van Aquarellen, Pastels, Teekingen, Etsen, Lithogaphien en een Schildrij door James McNeill Whistler, Museum Boijmans van Beuningen, Rotterdam, 1906 (cat. no. 73) 'Arthur Seymond' (sic).