Whistler with a hat
|Size:||229 x 154 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler.' at lower right|
|Inscribed:||'1859.' at lower right|
|Set/Publication:||'Cancelled Plates', 1879|
|No. of States:||3|
|Catalogues:||K.54; M.54; T.65; W.52|
|Impressions taken from this plate (36)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 54) 'Portrait of Whistler'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 54) 'Whistler'.
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 65) 'James Abbott MacNeill Whistler'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 52) 'Whistler'.
- A Collection of Engraved Portraits (Collection of J.A.Rose), Guildhall Art Gallery, London, 1872 (959) 'J.A.McN. Whistler An etching of himself by himself - proof'.
- Collection illustrative of the History and Practice of Etching. Lent and Catalogued by James Anderson Rose, Esq., of London, Liverpool, 1874 (cat. no. 471) 'Portrait of James Abbott McNeill Whistler'.
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 73) 'Whistler, with a large hat'.
- World's Columbian Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, Chicago, 1893 (cat. no. 2225) 'Whistler'.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 49, 1st and 2nd states) 'Whistler'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 48) 'Whistler'. 'Scarce'.
- International Exhibition, Glasgow Art Galleries, Glasgow, 1901 (cat. no. 230) 'Whistler's Portrait'.
- 71st Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1902 (cat. no. 47 (52)).
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. no. 59) 'Whistler'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 44) 'Whistler's Portrait'.
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 46) 'Whistler'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 54) 'Whistler's Portrait'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 52) 'Whistler'.
- Oeuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'École des Beaux-Art, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 316) 'Whistler'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- 'Mr Whistler's Paintings', Baltimore Gazette, after 1 April 1876, in GUL PC1/75; partially quoting E.D. Wallace, 'The Fine Arts Abroad', Forney's Weekly Press, Philadelphia, 1 April 1876.
- Anon., [H. Stewart Cundell], 'English Etching', The Standard, London, 25 April 1878, p. 2 (GUL PC1/94).
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Ann Arbor 1996: Prosaic Views, Poetic Vision, University of Michigan Museum of Art, Ann Arbor, 1996 (cat. no. 1).
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 113, 278 (no. 57).
- Los Angeles 1984: Drawing Near. Whistler Etchings from the Zelman Collection, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1984 (cat. no. 10).