Gateway, Chartreuse, near Loches
|Size:||135 x 99 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at lower left|
|No. of States:||1|
|Impressions taken from this plate (2)|
Recto, above; verso, below:
The copper plate bears the maker's oval stamp: 'HUGHES & KIMBER (LIMITED) / MANUFACTURERS / LONDON E.C.' (partial). It is the same make and size as several plates dating from 1888 (The Hangman's House, Tours 393, Place Daumont, Tours 390, Château Touraine 410).
It was in Whistler's studio at his death and was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower left corner.