Château de Bridoré
|Size:||135 x 98 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at upper right|
|No. of States:||1|
|Impressions taken from this plate (1)|
Recto, above; verso, below:
The copper plate bears the maker's oval stamp: 'HUGHES & KIMBER (LIMITED) / MANUFACTURERS / LONDON E.C.' It is the same size as a number of plates including Beatrice Whistler painting from a window, Bourges 399, A French Street 405 and Three studies of women's heads 400, which all probably date from 1888.
It was in Whistler's studio at his death and bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958) who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower left corner.