Fishing Quay, Ostend
|Size:||129 x 178 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at left|
|No. of States:||1|
|Impressions taken from this plate (5)|
Recto, above; verso, below:
The copper plate has the maker's oval stamp: 'HUGHES & KIMBER (LIMITED) / MANUFACTURERS / LONDON E.C.' It is close in size to many other plates of the period including High Street, Brussels 343, Nut Shop, St James's Place, Houndsditch 356, Cutler Street, Houndsditch 361, Melon Shop, Houndsditch 355 and The Barrow - Quartier des Marolles, Brussels 346.
It was in Whistler's studio at his death and was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower left corner.