Her Majesty's Fleet: Evening
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||144 x 223 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at lower right|
|No. of States:||1|
|Catalogues:||K.326; M.320; W.243|
|Impressions taken from this plate (7)|
Recto, above; verso, below:
The Fleet: Monitors 306 is the same size as Jubilee Place, Chelsea 276 and Her Majesty's Fleet: Evening 310. The latter bears the oval stamp of Hughes & Kimber, London copper merchants. Also close in size are the plates for The Cock and the Pump 321, and two Brussels etchings, Palaces, Brussels 338 (also a Hughes & Kimber plate) and Grand'Place, Brussels 335, all dating from 1887.
The original large copper sheets were probably stamped before being cut into smaller sizes. Thus some Hughes & Kimber plates do not have a stamp on the verso. Given the consistency in size of these etchings from 1887, it seems likely they were all made by Hughes & Kimber.
The copper plate was in Whistler's estate and passed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower left corner.