|Size:||178 x 82 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at left|
|No. of States:||1|
|Catalogues:||K.267; M.263; W.217|
|Impressions taken from this plate (11)|
The copper plate bears the maker's oval stamp: 'HUGHES & KIMBER (LIMITED) / MANUFACTURERS / LONDON E.C.' It is close in size to several other plates used in 1886 or 1887: Dipping the Flag 308, St James's Place, Houndsditch 255, The Long Seats, Gray's Inn 283 and Salvation Army, Sandwich 319.
The copper plate was in Whistler's studio at his death and was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower left corner.