J.H. Woods' Fruit Shop, Chelsea
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||98 x 133 mm|
|No. of States:||4|
|Impressions taken from this plate (4)|
The copper plate has the maker's oval stamp: 'HUGHES & KIMBER (LIMITED) / MANUFACTURERS / LONDON E.C.'
It is close in size to the plates for Booth at a Fair 257, St James Street decorated with bunting 326 and Marbles 270, and similar to several others including Gates, City, London 280, The Little Nurse, Grays Inn 286, Charing Cross Bridge 348, Return to Tilbury 311 and Windsor Castle 314, all dating from about 1887.
The plate was in Whistler's studio at his death. It was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958) who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower right corner.