Sketch after Cecil Lawson's "Swan and Iris"
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||142 x 82 (1); 134 x 82 (2) mm|
|Set/Publication:||E. W. Gosse, 'Cecil Lawson, a Memoir', London, 1883|
|No. of States:||6|
|Impressions taken from this plate (32)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., Catalogue of Etchings by J. McN. Whistler, Compiled by an Amateur. Supplementary to that Compiled by F. Wedmore, New York, 1902 (cat. no. 310) 'Swan and Iris'.
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 241) 'Swan and Iris'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 238) 'Swan and Iris'.
EXHIBITIONS 1855- 1905
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 174) 'The Swan and Iris'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. nos. 314, 314a)
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 224)
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 210)
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 335)
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 310)
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- Anon., St James Gazette, 13 March 1883 (GUL PC6/50).
- Gosse, Edmond W., Cecil Lawson: A Memoir, London, 1883, pp. 21-22.
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Getscher, Robert H., and Paul G. Marks, James McNeill Whistler and John Singer Sargent. Two Annotated Bibliographies, New York and London, 1986, p. 77, C.14.
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, p. 281 (no. 242).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. no. 871).
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, II, p. 81.