|Size:||230 x 153 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler.' at lower left (2-final)|
|Inscribed:||'1860.' at lower left (2-final)|
|Set/Publication:||'Cancelled Plates', 1879|
|No. of States:||6|
|Catalogues:||K.64; M.64; T.52; W.61|
|Impressions taken from this plate (31)|
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 52) 'Axenfeld'.
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 64) 'Axenfeld'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 64) 'Axenfeld'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 61) 'Axenfeld'.
- 93rd Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts, Royal Academy, London, 1861 (cat. no. 974) 'Dry Point, Mons. Oxenfeld, Littérateur, Paris'.
- Collection illustrative of the History and Practice of Etching. Lent and Catalogued by James Anderson Rose, Esq., of London, Liverpool, 1874 (cat. no. 473) 'Portrait of M. Axenfeld'.
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. nos. 85, 86, 87) 'Axenfeld'.
- International Exhibition, Kelvingrove, Glasgow, 1888 (cat. no. 2552-17)
- World's Columbian Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, Chicago, 1893 (cat. no. 2230) 'Portrait of Axenfeld'.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 58) 'Axenfeld'. Three States.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. E56) 'Axenfeld'.
- Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo, 1901 (cat. no. 1389) 'Axenfeld'.
- 71st Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1902 (cat. no. 947 (061)) 'Axenfeld'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 52).
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 54) 'Axenfield'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. nos. 62a,b,c) 'Axenfeld'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 61) 'Axenfeld'.
- Oeuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'École des Beaux-Art, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 321) 'Axenfeld'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- [F.G. Stephens], 'ART AND ARTISTS, Exhibition at the Royal Academy', The Critic: Journal of British and Foreign Literature and Arts, 11 May 1861, p. 606.
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 113, 114, 269, 278 (no. 68).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. no. 229).
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, I, pp. 70, 91.