|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||153 x 229 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler.' at lower right|
|Inscribed:||'1859.' at lower right|
|Set/Publication:||'Thames Set', 1871|
|No. of States:||6|
|Catalogues:||K.44; M.43; T.43; W.42|
|Impressions taken from this plate (81)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 44) 'Thames Police'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 43) 'Wapping Wharf'.
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 43) 'Thames Police'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 42) 'Thames Police'.
- The Works of James Whistler - Etchings and Dry Points, E. Thomas, 39 Old Bond Street, London, 1861 (cat. no. unknown).
- [Exposition], Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1862.
- Collection illustrative of the History and Practice of Etching. Lent and Catalogued by James Anderson Rose, Esq., of London, Liverpool, 1874 (cat. no. 496) 'Thames Police'.
- Mr Whistler's Exhibition, Flemish Gallery, Pall Mall, London, 1874 (cat. no. 14) 'Thames Police'.
- Cincinnati Industrial Exposition, Cincinnati, 1875 (cat. no. 254) 'Wapping Wharf'.
- [Exhibition], Craibe Angus's Gallery, Glasgow, 1879.
- Exhibition of works loaned to the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1879.
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. nos. 61-2) 'Thames Police. Wapping wharf.'
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 39) 'Thames Police'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 40) 'Thames Police'.
- Exhibition of Etchings and Dry Points by Mr. Whistler, Frederick Keppel and Co., New York, 1902.
- Art and Industrial Exhibition, Wolverhampton, 1902 (cat. no. 117) 'Thames Police'.
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. 50) 'Thames Police'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 36).
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 44) 'Thames Police'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. nos. 44a, b, c) 'Thames Police'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 42) 'The Thames Police'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- [F.G. Stephens], The Athenaeum, 26 August 1871, pp. 280-81.
- 'Mr Whistler's Paintings', Baltimore Gazette, after 1 April 1876, in GUL PC1/75; partially quoting E.D. Wallace, 'The Fine Arts Abroad', Forney's Weekly Press, Philadelphia, 1 April 1876.
- Anon., 'English Etching', 25 April 1878, unidentified press-cutting, GUL PC1/94.
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 81, 170, 278, (no. 47) (as 'Wapping Wharf').