|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||77 x 204 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler' at lower right|
|Inscribed:||'1859.' at lower right|
|Set/Publication:||'Thames Set', 1871|
|No. of States:||5|
|Catalogues:||K.38; M.37; T.42; W.35|
|Impressions taken from this plate (63)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 38) 'Thames Warehouses'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 37) 'Thames Warehouses'.
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 42) 'View up the River'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 35) 'Thames Warehouses, from Thames Tunnel Pier'.
- 92nd Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts, Royal Academy, London, 1860 (cat. no. 944) 'The Thames, from the Tunnel Pier'.
- The Works of James Whistler - Etchings and Dry Points, E. Thomas, 39 Old Bond Street, London, 1861.
- International Exhibition, London, 1862 'Thames Warehouses'.
- [Exposition], Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1862.
- Collection illustrative of the History and Practice of Etching. Lent and Catalogued by James Anderson Rose, Esq., of London, Liverpool, 1874 (cat. no. 493) 'View of the Thames from Thames Tunnel Pier'.
- Mr Whistler's Exhibition, Flemish Gallery, Pall Mall, London, 1874 (cat. no. 16) 'Thames Tunnel Pier' or 20 'Thames Warehouses'.
- [Exhibition], Craibe Angus's Gallery, Glasgow, 1879.
- Exhibition of works loaned to the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1879.
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 53) 'Thames Warehouses. From Thames Tunnel Pier'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 34) 'Thames Warehouses'.
- Exhibition of Etchings and Dry Points by Mr. Whistler, Frederick Keppel and Co., New York, 1902.
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. no. 40) 'Thames Warehouse from Thames Tunnel Pier'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 30, 205).
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 30) 'Thames Warehouses.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 37) 'Thames Warehouses, from Thames Tunnel Pier.'
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 35) 'Thames Warehouses from Thames Tunnel Pier'.
- Oeuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'École des Beaux-Art, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 306) 'Entrepôts de la Tamise. - (Thames Warehouses)'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- [F.G. Stephens], 'The Royal Academy', The Athenaeum, 19 May 1860, p. 685.
- Anon., [H. Stewart Cundell], 'English Etching', The Standard, London, 25 April 1878, p. 2 (GUL PC1/94).
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Chambers, Emma, An indolent and blundering art?, Cambridge, 1999, p. 135-136.
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 76, 278 (no. 41).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. nos. 229, 298, 300, 325).
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, I, p. 97.