Title search terms: burner
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||255 x 179 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler.' lower right and 'Whistler.' lower left (1); lower left signature faded (2)|
|Inscribed:||'1859.' at lower right|
|Set/Publication:||'Thames Set', 1871|
|No. of States:||2|
|Catalogues:||K.46; M.45; T.38; W.44|
|Impressions taken from this plate (103)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 46) 'The Lime-Burner'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 45) 'The-Lime Burner'.
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 38) 'The Lime Burners'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 44) 'The Lime-Burner'.
- 92nd Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts, Royal Academy, London, 1860 (cat. no. 943) 'W. Jones, lime burner, Thames Street'.
- The Works of James Whistler - Etchings and Dry Points, E. Thomas, 39 Old Bond Street, London, 1861 (cat. no. unknown).
- Collection illustrative of the History and Practice of Etching. Lent and Catalogued by James Anderson Rose, Esq., of London, Liverpool, 1874 (cat. no. 492) 'The Limeburners'.
- Mr Whistler's Exhibition, Flemish Gallery, Pall Mall, London, 1874 (cat. no. 18) 'The Limeburner’s Yard'.
- [Exhibition], Craibe Angus's Gallery, Glasgow, 1879 (cat. no. unknown).
- Exhibition of works loaned to the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1879 .
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 64) 'The Lime Burner'.
- Ausstellung der Maler-Radierungen französischer und englischer Künstler der Neuzeit, Nationalgalerie, Berlin, 1881 (cat. no. 717) 'Der Kalkbrenner'.
- International Exhibition, Kelvingrove, Glasgow, 1888 (cat. no. 2552-2) 'The Lime-Burner'
- World's Columbian Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, Chicago, 1893 (cat. no. 2218) 'The Lime Burner'.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 41) 'The Lime Burner'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 42) 'The Lime-Burner'.
- 71st Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1902 (cat. no. 947 (44)) 'The Lime-Burner'.
- Art and Industrial Exhibition, Wolverhampton, 1902 (cat. no. 126) 'The Lime-Burner'.
- Exhibition of Etchings and Dry Points by Mr. Whistler, Frederick Keppel and Co., New York, 1902 .
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. no. 52) The Lime-Burner'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 38) 'The Lime Burner'.
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 38).
- 78th Exhibition of the Royal Scottish Academy of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, 1904 (cat. no. 572) 'The Lime-Burner'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 46) 'The Lime-Burner'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 44) 'The Lime-Burner'.
- Oeuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'École des Beaux-Art, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 312) 'Le Four à chaux'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- [F.G. Stephens], 'The Royal Academy', The Athenaeum, 19 May 1860, p. 685.
- [F.G. Stephens], The Athenaeum, 26 August 1871, pp. 280-81.
- 'Mr Whistler's Paintings', Baltimore Gazette, after 1 April 1876, in GUL PC1/75; partially quoting E.D. Wallace, 'The Fine Arts Abroad', Forney's Weekly Press, Philadelphia, 1 April 1876.
- 'M.B.H.' [M.B. Huish], 'Etching in England', The Magazine of Art, 1878, I, p. 146, II, pp. 217-8.
- Anon., 'Mr. Whistler's Venice', St James' Gazette, 9 December 1880 (GUL PC4/17, PC15/13).
- The Academy, 30 January 1886, p. 82.
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Prosaic Views, Poetic Vision, University of Michigan Museum of Art, Ann Arbor, 1996 (cat. no. 14).
- Drawing Near. Whistler Etchings from the Zelman Collection, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1984 (cat. no. 17).
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984 , pp. 81, 86, 87, 170, 173-74, 191, 278 (no. 49).
- London 1994: James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London; Musée d'Orsay, Paris; and National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994-1995 (cat. no. 31).