The Fleet: Monitors
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||143 x 223 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at lower left|
|No. of States:||2|
|Catalogues:||K.318; M.315; W.239|
|Impressions taken from this plate (12)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 318) 'Monitors'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 315) 'Monitors'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, 2nd ed., revised, London, 1899 (cat. no. 239) 'Monitors'.
- Possibly Winter Exhibition, Royal Society of British Artists, London, 1887-1888 (cat. no. 525).
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 222).
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. no. 200) 'Monitors'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 188).
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 174) 'Monitors'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 252) 'Monitors'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 239) 'Monitors'.
- Oeuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'École des Beaux-Art, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 392) 'Monitors'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- Anon., '"Black and White" Exhibition', The Standard, London, 25 December 1887 (GUL PC9/47).
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 238, 283 (no. 319).
- Grischka Petri, 'Wunderlich’s Whistler Etchings: Excerpts from Accounts of the Trade in Prints', in E. Hermens, J. Meacock & G. Petri (eds.) Connecting Whistler: Essays in Honour of Margaret F. MacDonald, University of Glasgow 2010, p. 89 at http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_182035_en.pdf.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, II, pp. 81-2.