J. Becquet, Sculptor
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||257 x 194 mm|
|Set/Publication:||'Thames Set', 1871|
|No. of States:||6|
|Catalogues:||K.52; M.52; T.54; W.48|
|Impressions taken from this plate (96)|
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 52) 'Becquet'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 52) 'Becquet'.
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 54) 'Becquet'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 48) 'Becquet'.
- 95th Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts, Royal Academy, London, 1863 (cat. no. 990) 'Monsieur Becgio' [sic].
- Collection illustrative of the History and Practice of Etching. Lent and Catalogued by James Anderson Rose, Esq., of London, Liverpool, 1874 (cat. no. 474) 'Portrait of M. Becquet'.
- Mr Whistler's Exhibition, Flemish Gallery, Pall Mall, London, 1874 (cat. no. 21) 'Portrait of Mons. Becquet, sculptor'.
- Cincinnati Industrial Exposition, Cincinnati, 1875 (cat. no. 253) 'The Cello Player'.
- [Exhibition], Craibe Angus's Gallery, Glasgow, 1879 (cat. no. unknown).
- Exhibition of works loaned to the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1879.
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 69) 'Becquet. The Violocellist'.
- International Exhibition, Kelvingrove, Glasgow, 1888 (cat. no. 2552-16) 'Becquet'.
- World's Columbian Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, Chicago, 1893 (cat. no. 2221) 'Portrait of Becquet'.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 45) 'Becquet'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 46) 'Bequet (The Fiddler)'.
- Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo, 1901 (cat. no. 1386) 'Becquet'.
- Exhibition of Etchings and Dry Points by Mr. Whistler, Frederick Keppel and Co., New York, 1902.
- 71st Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1902 (cat. no. 947 (48) 'Becquet'.
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. no. 57) ' Becquet'.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 42).
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 42) 'Becquet'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 50) 'Becquet'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 48) 'Becquet'.
- Oeuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'École des Beaux-Art, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 314) 'Becquet'.
- [F.G. Stephens], The Athenaeum, 16 May 1863, p. 655.
- Anon., 'Two sets of etchings', Pall Mall Gazette, 1 July 1872, pp. 11-12.
- Frederick Wedmore, 'M. Burty's collection', The Academy, 29 April 1876, pp. 414-415.
- Anon., 'Art Notes', The Sun, New York, 5 January 1909 (GUL PC19/11).
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Drawing Near. Whistler Etchings from the Zelman Collection, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1984 (cat. no. 7a).
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, pp. 103, 170, 278 (no. 55).
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, I, pp. 54, 70, 101.