|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||152 x 223 mm|
|Signed:||'Whistler.' to right of centre|
|Inscribed:||'1859.' at lower right|
|Set/Publication:||'The Portfolio', London, 1878|
|No. of States:||9|
|Catalogues:||K.47; M.46; T.34; W.45|
|Impressions taken from this plate (125)|
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874 (cat. no. 34) 'Billingsgate Market'.
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 47) 'Billingsgate'.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. no. 46) 'Billingsgate'.
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886 (cat. no. 45) 'Billingsgate'.
- [Exposition], Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1862.
- Mr Whistler's Exhibition, Flemish Gallery, Pall Mall, London, 1874 (cat. no. 12) 'Billingsgate'.
- Collection illustrative of the History and Practice of Etching. Lent and Catalogued by James Anderson Rose, Esq., of London, Liverpool, 1874 (cat. no. 498) 'Billingsgate'.
- Etchings and Dry Points, The Union League Club, New York, 1881 (cat. no. 65) 'Billingsgate Market'.
- Fine Art and Industrial Exhibition, Cardiff, 1881 (cat. no. 266) 'Billingsgate'.
- Exhibition of Etchings, Drypoints. and Lithographs by Whistler, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1898 (cat. no. 42) 'Billingsgate'.
- An Exhibition of Etchings and Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, The Caxton Club, 1900 (cat. no. 43) 'Billingsgate'.
- Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo, 1901 (cat. no. 1383).
- 71st Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1902 (cat. no. 947 (45)) 'Billingsgate'.
- Exhibition of Etchings by James McNeill Whistler, Obach and Co., London, 1903 (cat. no. 53) 'Billingsgate', Second State.
- A Collection of Etchings and Dry Points by Whistler recently acquired, H. Wunderlich and Co., New York, 1903 (cat. no. 39).
- Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Copley Hall, Boston, February 1904 (cat. no. 39) 'Billingsgate'.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904 (cat. no. 47) 'Billingsgate'.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 45) 'Billingsgate'.
REVIEWS 1855- 1905
- Anon., 'Mr Whistler's Paintings', Baltimore Gazette, after 1 April 1876, in GUL PC1/75; partially quoting E.D. Wallace, 'The Fine Arts Abroad', Forney's Weekly Press, Philadelphia, 1 April 1876.
- Anon., The Academy, London, 15 August 1877, p. 562.
- Anon., 'Notes on Art and Archaeology', The Academy, London, 15 December 1877, p. 562.
- Whistler, J., 'Billingsgate', The Portfolio, An Artistic Periodical (London), P. G. Hamerton, ed., January 1878, vol. 9, f. p. 8, text pp. 8-9.
- Anon., The Academy, London, 12 January 1878, p. 42.
- Anon., [H. Stewart Cundell], 'English Etching', The Standard, London, 25 April 1878, p. 2 (GUL PC1/94).
- 'M.B.H.' [M.B. Huish], 'Etching in England', The Magazine of Art, 1878, I, p. 146, II, pp. 217-8.
- Anon., Standard, London, 30 April 1878.
- Anon., 'Whistler as an Etcher', The Art Amateur: A Monthly Journal devoted to the cultivation of Art in the Household, Montague Marks, ed., New York, vol. 1, no. 5, October 1879, pp. 89-90.
- Anon., 'Notes on Art and Archaeology', The Academy, London, 19 November 1881, p. 390.
GENERAL 1855- 1905
- P. G. Hamerton, Etching and Etchers, 3rd edition, MacMillan and Company, London, 1880.
GENERAL 1906- PRESENT
- Getscher, Robert H., and Paul G. Marks, James McNeill Whistler and John Singer Sargent. Two Annotated Bibliographies, New York and London, 1986, pp. 75, 185-6 (cat. nos. C.8, J.79).
- Drawing Near. Whistler Etchings from the Zelman Collection, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1984 (cat. no. 58a).
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, p. 83, 176, 278 (no. 50).
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, I, pp. 152, 257; II, 81.