The 'Brussels Set' or 'Belgian Set'
Etchings of Brussels
HISTORY OF THE 'BRUSSELS SET'
'Where am I now? - well of all places - in Brussels! - I wish enough you were here with me - The place is simply lovely - and I only wonder how it is that I should never have discovered it before! -
But the droll thing is that the people themselves - the painter fellows and the rest of them have no idea of it themselves - and I will have to invent their town for them as I did the Thames for the Londoners! -
The work that I am doing is, I believe, far away beyond all that I have done before - and I shall be awfully disappointed if you dont think that what I am about is not even newer, and more amazing than the Naval Review - ' 1
2: GUW #13016.
3: '"Black and White" Exhibition', Standard, London, 25 December 1887 (GUL PC9/47).
- Winter Exhibition, Royal Society of British Artists, London, 1887-1888.
- [Exhibition], Société des XX (Vingts), Brussels, 1888.
- [Exhibition], New English Art Club, London, 1888.
- Etchings and Dry-Points by James McNeill Whistler, The Grolier Club, New York, 1904.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905.
- Anon., '"Black and White" Exhibition', Standard, London, 25 December 1887 (GUL PC9/47)
- Anon., Sunday Times, 13 January 1888 (GUL PC9/54).
- Anon., Home and Colonial Mail, 20 January 1888 (GUL PC9/55).
- Anon, 'New English Art Club', The Echo, London, [April 1888] (GUL PC9/77).
- Anon, [The New English Art Club], Pall Mall Gazette, [April 1888] (GUL PC9/77)
- Anon, [The New English Art Club], Evening Post, London, 4 April 1888. (GUL PC9/77)
- Anon., Yorkshire Post, [April 1888] (GUL PC9/79).
- Anon., Scotsman, 7 April 1888 (GUL PC9/80).
- Anon, [New English Art Club], Globe, London, 9 April 1888 (GUL PC9/79).
- Anon, 'Two picture exhibitions', Manchester Guardian, 9 April 1888, p. 5 (GUL PC9/74).
- Anon, Nottinghamshire Daily Guardian, 10 April 1888.
- Anon, 'At the Dudley Gallery', Literary World, 13 April 1888.
- Anon, 'New English Art Club', News of the World, 15 April 1888 (GUL PC9/80).
- Anon., Artist, May 1888 (GUL PC9/97).
- Anon., 'More Pictures Yet,' Toronto Daily Mail, 31 May 1888 (GUL PC10/1).
- Anon., 'A Whistler Show,' The Star, London, 21 April 1889 (GUL PC10/92).
- Manchester Examiner, 2 May 1889 (GUL PC10/92).
- Anon., 'The College for Men and Women,' The Times, London, 2 May 1889 (GUL PC10/91).
- Anon., 'A Whistler Exhibition,' Pall Mall Gazette, 11 May 1889 (GUL PC10/92).
- Anon, 'International Art at Knightsbridge', Glasgow Evening News, 22 May 1899 (GUL PC17/58).
- Anon, St Paul's, London, 27 May 1899 (GUL PC17/61).
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910 (cat. nos. 355-367).
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984, chap. 4.
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909 (cat. nos. 352-364).
- Mansfield, Howard, Whistler in Belgium and Holland, New York, 1935.
- Mansfield, Howard, 'Whistler in Belgium and Holland,' The Print-Collector's Quarterly, vol. 6, no. 4, December 1916, pp. 374-395.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908.