The Hangman's House, Tours
|Medium:||etching and drypoint|
|Size:||135 x 99 mm|
|Signed:||butterfly at lower left|
|No. of States:||3|
|Impressions taken from this plate (6)|
Recto, above; verso, below:
The copper plate has no maker's mark but is the same size as other plates of the period such as Three studies of women's heads , Beatrice Whistler painting from a window, Bourges , Place Daumont, Tours , Château Touraine , A French Street , Château de Bridoré  and Gateway, Chartreuse, near Loches .
The copper plate was in Whistler's studio at his death, and was bequeathed to Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958) who gave it to the University of Glasgow in 1935. It was cancelled posthumously with a diagonal line across the lower left corner.