The REFERENCES listed for each etching and drypoint start with the early catalogues raisonnés of Whistler's etchings.
These are followed by printed material- books, journals and newspaper references - published during Whistler's lifetime, and selective literature including exhibition catalogues, dating from after his death in 1903.
The press-cuttings are based on the albums of cuttings in the Whistler Collection, Glasgow University Library, as well as on-line resources.
The References are currently being revised and extended and a full Bibliography will be added in due course (2012).
CATALOGUES OF WHISTLER'S WORK
- Spink, Nesta R., The Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, gen. eds Harriet K. Stratis and Martha Tedeschi, Chicago, 1998
- MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980
CATALOGUES OF ETCHINGS
- Thomas, Ralph, A Catalogue of the Etchings and Drypoints of James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, London, 1874
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, London, 1886
- Wedmore, Sir Frederick, Whistler's Etchings: a Study and a Catalogue, 2nd ed., revised, London, 1899
- Mansfield, Howard, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-Points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Chicago, 1909
- Kennedy, Edward G., Catalogue of Etchings by J. McN. Whistler, Compiled by an Amateur. Supplementary to that Compiled by F. Wedmore, New York, 1902
- Kennedy, Edward G., The Etched Work of Whistler, New York, 1910
SELECT WHISTLER BIBLIOGRAPHY
- The Correspondence of James McNeill Whistler, 1855-1903, edited by Margaret F. MacDonald, Patricia de Montfort and Nigel Thorp; including The Correspondence of Anna McNeill Whistler, 1855-1880, edited by Georgia Toutziari. On-line edition, University of Glasgow. http://www.whistler.arts.gla.ac.uk/correspondence
- Lochnan, Katharine A., The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1984
- MacDonald, Margaret F., Palaces in the Night: Whistler in Venice, Aldershot and California, 2001
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921
- Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011.
- Erma Hermens, Joanna Meacock and Grischka Petri (eds.),CONNECTING WHISTLER: Essays in Honour of Margaret F. MacDonald, Glasgow, 2010, including: Victoria Irvine, 'Whistler and the Cancan Dancer: A Case Study of Finette', pp.16-21; Ailsa Boyd, '"Something vibrates back": Whistler and Henry James', pp. 62-68; Meg Hausberg, 'Whistler Etchings: The Bacher Connection', pp. 70-75; Joanna Meacock, 'The General and the Colonel; or Scalping the Hostiles', pp. 76-86; Grischka Petri, 'Wunderlich’s Whistler Etchings: Excerpts from Accounts of the Trade in Prints', pp. 88-95; Robert Gibbs, 'A Whistlerian in Prague: Viktor Street and Joseph Pennell', pp. 111-114, et al, at http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_182035_en.pdf